|Agency||:||AADAP, Inc. – Prevention Unit|
|Salary||:||Commensurate Upon Experience|
|Closing Date||:||Until filled|
|Opening Positions||:||One (1) Full-time, Temporary|
|Submit Resumes to||:||Jon Fukuda|
|2900 S Crenshaw Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90016|
|(323) 293-6284, (323) 295-4075 (fax)|
A. SUMMARY STATEMENT:
The Community Organizer mobilizes target communities to impact change around alcohol and other drug access issues through advocacy and policy-based campaigns. The Community Organizer implements a strategic plan under the supervision of the IYCC Coordinator.
B. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Target Area Organizing (70%):
- Conducts comprehensive community assessments of assigned target area.
- Recruit, train, and guide youth and adult volunteer base through community based AOD prevention campaigns and evidence-based practices.
- Navigate, cultivate, and negotiate policy awareness and support with City decision makers and City staff.
- Mobilize community leaders and residents around specific organizing efforts as appropriate.
- Conduct leadership development, skills building, and coalition building efforts as assigned.
- Implement a SPF strategic action plan involving youth and adult volunteer base.
- Develop and provide AOD presentations on campaign efforts to target community.
- Facilitate community coalition meetings and trainings as required.
- Revise action plan according to emerging community needs, issues, and problems.
- County-wide Organizing (15%):
- Provide technical assistance to other organizing bodies as assigned.
- Participate in County based Roundtable and other coalition based meetings.
- Conduct advocacy around local, state, and federal policy decisions.
- Contract Compliance (10%):
- Comply with City, County, State and Federal contractual agreements.
- Submit billing reports and other reporting requirements as assigned.
- Maintain accurate files on organizing activities and evaluations.
- Unit and Agency (5%):
- Attend Unit and Agency meetings and functions.
- Represent AADAP at local, state and federal forums, conferences, and other activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
C. QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES):
- Four-years of college education related to field or equivalent work experience related to field.
- Permanent resident or U.S. Citizen; proof of work eligibility upon hiring.
- Valid California Drivers License, current minimum automobile insurance, and an appropriate motor vehicle.
- Must have at least three (3) years of recovery or a drug free lifestyle as of the date of application.
- Must be able to work with people of diverse cultural, educational, social, and economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in computer operations.
- Demonstrated community organizing experience and background.
- Ability to pass criminal background check to work with children and adolescents.
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience in community organizing and advocacy efforts.
- Fluent in Khmer: written and spoken language
- Knowledge of substance abuse and related issues.
- Knowledge and understanding of Long Beach City and community.
- Experience working with youth and adolescents.
- Experience with research and evaluation methodologies.
- Knowledge of media messaging and technology.